background img

The New Stuff

Dog tales


I WANTED TO EXPRESS my sincere appreciation for the excerpt from Stanley Coren's book The Modern Dog about his cairn terrier, Flint ("My wife. My dog Flint. The war," Books, Dec. 29). As a fellow cairn terrier owner, I laughed hysterically at some of Flint's more memorable antics. I thought I was alone in the world with my soap-opera-watching, rodent-hunting, tail-chasing and territorial terrier. I read the article out loud to my own cairn, as she watched me inquisitively with her head tilted to the side. This article also warns potential dog owners of the importance of making an informed decision. Owning a cairn has absolutely enriched my life. Coren's story effectively demonstrates that they are not everyone's cup of tea.

[ILLUSTRATION OMITTED]

Joseph Anderson, Kitchener, Ont.

WHY DID COREN need a dog to make him laugh? By giving two pages to such a boring piece, Maclean's reeks of desperation. I've always thought people with small, yappy dogs have major character flaws, or some sort of mental or emotional deficit. The only halfway interesting part of this segment was when Coren's canine freaked when it saw the rats on TV, and how the mutt tried to follow the rats off-screen. As it stands, we got a cheap and watered-down version of James Herriot's All Creatures Great and Small. Not even the Yorkshire moors could have saved this yawner.


0 nhận xét :

Đăng nhận xét

Popular Posts